Milton & its churches
(Pictured Left – Right: St John’s, St Mary Magdalene’s and St Peter’s)
St Mary Magdalene’s, Milton
The Church of St Mary Magdalene originally served a large rural parish of small villages, forest and agricultural land with a scattered population. It is now the Parish Church of the thriving town of New Milton and Barton on Sea and the villages of Ashley and Bashley with a combined population of over 25,000.
The current building mostly dates from 1832 with the Tower being considerably older. The Chancel was enlarged in the 1920’s and the Lady Chapel added in the 1950’s as the building was still too small. As well as these additions to the Parish Church, two extra churches were built to help serve this now extensive and populous parish.
St. Peter’s, Ashley
St. Peter’s Church at Ashley was built in 1957. It replaced an old wooden building dating from 1904.
It now serves the former village of Ashley, which is now part of the larger town of New Milton.
St. John the Baptist’s, Bashley
This delightful small chapel was built in 1910 for what now seems the very moderate sum of £300. It is one of the focal points for the still rural village of Bashley.
All three churches have a distinctive and vigorous life of worship and community activities of their own. However, the emphasis is very much on all three churches working together to serve and support the community as part of a parish-wide team.